Important pharmacy news and late-breaking industry information updated daily.

FDA cautioned Thursday that fluoroquinolone antibiotics may increase the risk of rare but serious events of ruptures or tears in the aorta. The tears, known as aortic dissections, or ruptures of an aortic aneurysm, can lead to serious bleeding or even death.

U.S. District Judge Katherine Polk Failla in Manhattan on Wednesday judge struck down a New York law that planned to collect $600 million from the pharmaceutical industry to help combat the opioid crisis, a ruling that could shape opioid legislation being weighed in other states.

Pfizer and GlaxoSmithKline on Wednesday announced a plan to combine their consumer health care units and eventually spin off the joint venture. Glaxo will hold a 68% stake and Pfizer the remaining 32% in the new joint venture, which generated combined sales of $12.7 billion last year and will be the world's largest OTC medicines business.

New opioid policies have different implications for pharmacists 
 

Surgeon General Jerome Adams is warning young people about the risks of e-cigarettes. A survey released Monday found that two times as many high school students used e-cigarettes in 2018 compared with 2017.

Vaccine prevention efforts could be the answer
 

New research shows a significant increase in vaping among U.S. teenagers. The findings—from the 2018 Monitoring the Future survey of a nationally representative sample of 8th, 10th, and 12th graders in schools across the country—show that 37.3% of high school seniors reported "any vaping" in the past year, compared with 27.8% in 2017.

Pharmacists can monitor list of recalls that FDA is updating
 

FDA on Thursday withdrew a proposal that would have opened up generic companies to possible product-liability lawsuits over drug safety. The agency had proposed a new federal rule in 2013 that would have allowed people to hold generic-drug companies legally liable for the side effects of medicines.

Calls on states to consider changes to scope-of-practice statutes