APhA Immunization Champion Awards
The APhA Immunization Champion Awards recognizes individuals and organizations within the profession of pharmacy that make extraordinary contributions towards improved vaccination rates and health in their communities.
2018 Award Recipients
Presented at the APhA Annual Meeting & Exposition, March 16-19, 2018, Nashville.
Holly E. Gurgle (Salt Lake City, UT)
Friend of Pharmacy
Outstanding Career Achievement
Pharmacy Team Member
There are six (6) categories of recognition including:
- Individual practitioners: pharmacists
- Corporations / institutions: community pharmacies, hospital pharmacies, long-term care pharmacies, clinics, etc.
- Partnerships with other healthcare providers and public health: collaborations between pharmacies/pharmacists and immunization coalitions, physicians, nurses, public health departments, etc to address an immunization issue and/or provision of immunization services
- Community outreach: activities conducted within your community to increase immunization awareness and delivery
- Friend of Pharmacy: an individual who is a non-pharmacist and has supported, facilitated or advocated for pharmacists' role in immunizations. Individuals could include a coalition leader, community leader, policy maker, physician, public health official, reporter, etc.
- Pharmacy Team Member: an individual who is not a pharmacist nor a student pharmacist who has been an advocate for immunizations and who has proactively identified at-risk patients for vaccination. Individuals could include a pharmacy technician, store manager, store cashier, etc.
Nominees are evaluated in the following areas related to their immunization activities:
- Impact: how did their work support / utilize pharmacists to improve immunization rates, education or access.
- Collaboration: describe the extent of collaboration with other providers and/or organizations within their community or practice setting
- Originality: describe the creativity, innovation and originality utilized by the nominee in achieving increased vaccination rate, access and/or information within their community
- Challenges and Opportunities: describe the challenges and opportunities that the nominee encountered and how they addressed those issues.
Previous Immunization Champions
APhA thanks Merck, Sanofi Pasteur, and Seqirus for their support of this awards and recognition program.