The APhA Distinguished Federal Pharmacist Award is the Association’s premier award to recognize a pharmacist who has distinguished himself/herself and the profession by outstanding contribution in federal pharmacy practice that has resulted in a significant improvement in the health of the nation and/or the population he/she serves.
2020 Distinguished Federal Pharmacist Award recipient: CAPT (ret) Edward C. Norton Jr., MS, BS, Pharm
The nominee for the APhA Distinguished Federal Pharmacist Award must be a pharmacist who is a member of APhA, served in a federal pharmacy practice for the past 10 years, and is on active federal service at the time of nomination and has distinguished himself/herself and the profession of pharmacy by sustained outstanding performance and achievement. Applications will be evaluated based upon the following criteria (listed alphabetically; not in rank order):
• Active participation in Inter-Agency Collaboration (cross-service activities)
• Community service (contributions to the local community in which you live, federal agency community, facility, etc.)
• Demonstrated leadership and mentorship
• Impact on the pharmacy profession
• Innovation in practice, research, and/or scholarly activity
• Sustained impact and contributions to positive patient or health outcomes
The nominator is responsible for submitting a complete award nomination at the following link: Award Nomination Form. The deadline for nominations is September 1 annually.
The nomination is to include the following items:
• A narrative letter of justification (no more than two pages or 1,000 words) from the nominator describing the most significant contributions of the nominee and an explanation of how the nominee meets the award criteria
• Two supporting letters
• Current complete curriculum vitae or a detailed résumé of the nominee that includes professional activities, publications, and awards/honors
The selection of the award recipient will be based upon careful review of the completed nominations by the APhA Distinguished Federal Pharmacist Award Selection Committee. All nominations will be evaluated using the award criteria. No one from the selection committee will be eligible for the award.
The selection committee will be comprised of the following representatives:
• One representative from each federal pharmacy group selected by the chief pharmacist; the chief pharmacist is not eligible to serve on the selection committee (i.e., U.S. Air Force, U.S. Army, U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Navy, U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, U.S. Public Health Service).
• The award recipient from the immediate preceding year
• One nonfederal representative from the APhA Board of Trustees selected by the APhA President will serve as the chairman.
Nature of award
The APhA Distinguished Federal Pharmacist Award will be presented at the APhA Annual Meeting & Exposition and will consist of a crystal figurine. The recipient will receive: a $1,500 honorarium,and complimentary APhA Annual Meeting registration and reimbursement for meeting-related travel expenses, according to current travel policies and up to the maximum amount budgeted by APhA. The recipient will be asked to participate in a session highlighting his/her specific achievement. The award is endowed by The Roche Foundation.
2019 CDR Aimee Young, USPHS
2018 Anthony P. Morreale
2017 COL (Ret) John Spain
2016 Ron A. Nosek, VA
2015 COL J. Michael Spilker, USAF, BSC (Ret)
2014 CAPT Pamela M. Schweitzer
2013 RADM Scott F. Giberson, USPHS
2012 Jannet M. Carmichael
2011 COL Everett B. McAllister, USAF, BSC (Ret)
2010 LTC Stacia L. Spridgen, MS, USA
2009 Timothy Stroup
2008 Joseph F. Gallelli
2007 Capt David E. Price, MSC, USN
2006 William N. Jones
2005 COL William Michael Heath, MS, USA
2004 COL Daniel D. Remund, MS, USA